Rotating Biological Contractors (RBCs) treat building wastewater by utilizing bundles of plastic media sheets covered with biological organisms. These bundles rotate continuously while being 40 percent submerged in a wastewater tank. The problem is that RBCs can have the cumulative effect of a very large humidifier, raising building humidity levels to above 80% due to the high moisture and corrosive gases they generate. Yet, RBCs are often installed with little regard to heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) requirements, which can lead to failure of these systems. Even when properly designed, HVAC systems often fail eventually from RBC operation. However, RBCs Cover solutions provides a simple, cost effective approach that can be retrofitted to existing RBCs. It’s a solution designed to address the problem head on.
Uncovered RBC’s in an enclosed environment contribute the following:
- Significant heating bills due to building operators keeping interior temperatures above the Dew Point to prevent condensation
- Toxic gases such as hydrogen sulfide
- Significant condensation on walls, and ceilings, often dripping off surfaces depending on time of the year
- Severe corrosion of equipment such as motors, bearings, and electrical components
- Mold on walls & ceilings
- Mold spores within the enclosed environment that workers breath on a daily basis
- Rot of wooden structures such as roof trusses or walls
- Paint peeling and deterioration of walls
- Darkening of pipes such as brass and iron due to hydrogen sulfide
- Significant corrosion to any ferric items such as steel trusses
- Significant heating bills due to building interior temperature above the Dew Point to prevent condensation.
If not addressed, these problems lead to costly repairs, unhealthy working environment, and poor aesthetics. Bearings and motors routinely exposed to high humidity and corrosive gases will fail more frequently leading to more costly repairs and poor performance.
Wooden structures that are not protected can eventually rot to the point that complete replacement such as roof structures and building walls is required.
RBC COVER SOLUTIONS offers a simple, yet effective remedy
A custom designed cover that encloses the RBC to contain moisture, odors and harmful gases before venting them outside of the building.
- A frame made entirely of heavy wall 304 stainless steel tubing
- A heavy duty clear vinyl cover that allows for continued visibility of the RBC, and can be removed easily for maintenance
- A exhaust system that keeps the cover under constant negative pressure, preventing moisture, gases, and odor’s from ever entering the building atmosphere.
An RBC cover has the following key features:
- Made entirely of 304 stainless steel and covered with removable heavy gauge vinyl material
- The cover is custom designed to meet the specific requirements of the RBC installation
- Components are made to be assembled in the field. All components fit through a standard 3’ door frame
- No special skills needed to install unit. Cover and exhaust can be typically installed with less then 32 man-hours. All components are bolted connections
- Cover designed to keep RBC bearings, gearbox, and motor outside of the RBC environment, decreasing costly maintenance issues
- Cover can be removed with little effort to perform maintenance
- Custom features can be added, such as access ports for chemical addition, instrumentation, etc.
- No heavy equipment such as cranes needed for installation; the heaviest individual component weighs less then 100 lbs.
- Stainless steel drip trays included to contain splashing generated by rotating media bundles
- The resulting low humidity level within the building reduces winter heating demand and summer ventilation requirements resulting in substantially lower heating costs